The first planned city of India after independence, the city is known for its well-planned infrastructure and well organised Transportation. It’s distinctive from rest of Indian cities. Its a city, a union territory of India and the capital of two states Haryana and Punjab. It’s a prestigious city and recognized as modern city of India. It’s been included in the renowned cities of the world and known for its quality of life.
It is the cleanest city of India and a rare example lies in the trees and plants that are included in planning of its construction. Being located at the foothills of the Shivalik range of the Himalaya, Chandigarh stays favourable all year round. The city due to its highly urban planning and low crime rate remains a favourite tourist attraction as it serves as a home away from home for foreigners who visit India.
Things to do in Chandigarh- WiWiGo Blog
There are numerous things to do in Chandigarh. From unique cactus garden to trek the lower Shivalik hills and boating in Sukhna lakes to visiting in rose garden. Here everything is going to thrill you; whether you are with friends of family. Things like bird watching, boating, shopping, yachting, rowing, picnic and water skiing are some of the outdoor activities that can be enjoyed here. following are some of the top things to do:-
Undoubtedly it is a shopper’s paradise. Go to sector 17 or sector 22. buy what you want under one roof, enjoy happening life, nightlife, open shops and malls. Buy amazing apparel, woolen clothes, hand-loom and artifacts , Jam and juices, ready made branded clothes, hosiery items and other handmade items that are rarely found in market.
When you are Chandigarh don’t forget boating in Sukhna Lake, which is man-made lake at the foothills of Himalayas.
- Zip Lining
Zip lining is one of its kind aerial adventure which can be done with flying fox Kikar. It’s built over the Shivalik Hills, flying fox in Kikar takes over canopies of forested valleys.
If you are golf lover than don’t forget to go Golf Club. Enjoy golfing at golf club which is known for its challenging narrow fairways.
- Baisakhi festival
This is the most famous and main festival of Punjab which is celebrated more joyfully.
What to eat:
Don’t forget eating Traditional Punjabi cuisines like tandoori chicken together with Chana Bhaturas. Other lip smacking food are fast food, Chinese food and Sweets. Some of the popular Dishes are following:
- Vegetarian– Some of the top cuisines to taste are -: Sheer Korma, Shahi Paneer, Punj Ratan Dal, Choley, Dal Handi and Sarso ka Saag with Makke ki Roti etc.
- Non Vegetarian- Butter chicken, Tandoori Chicken, Amritsari Fish and Chicken Biryani are some of the favourite dish for Non Veg eaters
Places to Visit:
- The rock garden
Situated at sector 1, near Sukhna Lake. The rock garden is also known as Nek Chand’s Rock Garden after founder Nek Chand spread over 40 acres. It’s near to Sukhna Lake and it consists of man-made interlinked waterfalls and many other sculptures that have been made of scrap and other kind of wastes. It’s a unique place one must visit
- Sukhna Lake
Sukhna Lake is a beautiful lake that lies in the foothills of Shivalik range. This is man-made lake created in 1958 which is integral part of city. It’s a good place for water sports, picnic and other outdoor activities. Its calm, cool and good place for all age group people visitors. It has everything for everyone.
- Rose Garden
Rose garden is one of the famous places of Chandigarh spread over 30 acres having 825 varieties of roses and 32500 varieties of other medical plants and trees. It’s also known by Zakir Hussain Rose Garden.
- Chandi Mandir
Located on the Chandigarh -Kalka road, Chandi temple is 15 kms away. The name of ‘Chandigarh’ city derives from the name of goddess Chandi. The temple is worshipped as a Siddha Peeth.
- Pinjore Garden
20 kms away from Chandigarh known as the oldest garden spread over 100 acres on a slope with fountains and pavilions. It has a historic significance, according to Hindu mythology, it is believed that the Pandava brothers rested here during their exile. There are many things in it such as mini zoo, nursery, a Japanese garden and historic palaces.
How to reach Chandigarh : If you are planning to travel to Chandigarh from Delhi, we can help you with the best prices and the best route to reach there, the city is located 260km from New Delhi.
- By air – airport is 12 kms from city and there are many regular flights from major airports of India. Air India Airlines, Go Air Airlines and Indigo Airlines are are some of the airlines that operate from Chandigarh to other Airports. You can have taxi from the airport to go other part.
- By road – Chandigarh is 260 kms from Delhi by road. You can go by bus, car or can hire a cab to reach there. There are regular bus services from Delhi to Chandigarh. You can book cab from any travel agency, we also offer one way cab services as well as round trip services. You just need to go on site and fill the details, rest we will do.
- By train – Railway station is connected with all major cities of India. There are numerous trains from Delhi to Chandigarh. The popular trains connecting new Delhi to Chandigarh are Shatabdi Express, Paschim Express, GaribRath and Kerala Sampark Kranti express etc.
If you like this article comment on it, share it with other or let us know your valuable feedback for updates.