ABOUT SOMNATH TEMPLE.
It is situated in Veraval near Saurashtra on western coast of Gujarat, India. It is popular due to various legends connected to it. It is an important pilgrimage and tourist spot. Lord Shiva has a strong connection here. The temple is open daily from 6 am to 9 pm. It is also known as shrine eternal. It is also believed that nearby Bhalka is a place where Lord Krishna ended his Lila on earth and left for his heavenly abode.
We all have heard about the Somnath temple, but Below are the jaw dropping, lesser known facts about the Somnath Temple that will make you scratch your head.
Lesser known facts about Somnath temple
(1) the flag mast on the peak is 37 feet long and is changes 3 times a day. the construction of present temple started in 1950. It was inaugurated by first president of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
(2) It is one of the twelve Jyortirlinga shrines of Lord Shiva. it was rebuilt every time at same site. this temple was built over 5 years 1947-51 by Muslim invaders.
(3) The legend of Somnath temple mythology is related to moon god and curse of his father in law Daksha prajapati. Moon god got married to 27 daughters of Daksha out of which he favoured Rohini and neglected the other queens. Daksha cursed Moon and moon lost power of light. With an advice from Brahma Deva, he worshiped Lord Shiva who returned his light.
(4) The temple is situated at a place that there is no land in straight line between temple seashore till Antarctica. On the walls of the temple, along with Shiva, Sculputures of Lord Brahma and Vishnu can also be seen.
(5)According to Another reference, there have been about 6 Brahmas. this is an era of 7th Brahma who is called Satanand. Lord Shiva also reveals in 7th Yuga, the name of the temple is Somnath and in the last yuga, shivlinga was called Mrityunjay.
(6) Non hindus require special permission to visit somnath temple. The decision was taken in view of security issues.
So, pack your bags and start your journey to one of the most the sacred destinations of India.
If you plan to visit Somnath Temple any soon, we introduce you to, Wiwigo, a cab rental company that overcomes all the disadvantages of travelling through the traditional methods for intercity travelling. You can plan immediate journeys. Dictate your own time of travel. Travel luxuriously with door to door pick-up and drop off facility with no extra charges. You can also save a lot by keeping track of the offers and discounts and availing an INR 2000 cash back at every ride. Wiwigo lets you avail the facility of one way travel, where you pay for one-way if you are travelling one side. Wiwigo has over 100 operational routes all over India. Wiwigo has an extremely user friendly online portal, a lightweight cab booking app and an 24 hours operational phone number, 08010 166 166 for booking the cab
Image courtesy : Pinterest.